Construction of a new Transport Hub
Note: Waterford City and County Council has resolved, at the Metropolitan District meeting dated 16th September 2019, to proceed with the Part 8 development for the Transport Hub, Ferrybank, Waterford as per the recommendations in the Chief Executive’s Report.
In July 2019, and accordance with Article 81 of Part 8 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (as amended), notice was given that Waterford City and County Council proposes to carry out the following development:
Construction of a new Transport Hub to include; a Rail station to replace the existing Plunkett Train Station along the existing Waterford City to Rosslare Iarnród Éireann railway (active only to Belview Port); re-configuration to the layout of the existing Bus Éireann depot site; construction of additional parking for Bus Éireann at an adjoining site (former Dunlop site); construction of drainage network upgrades along the Dock Road and in the vicinity of the Transport Hub and construction of flood defences along the southern boundary of the Iarnród Éireann railway. The proposed development will be carried out in the townland of Ferrybank, Waterford.
The works to complete the development will comprise the following:
- Site clearance to include demolition of the existing railway overbridge at the site, Top Oil Service station, a single storey commercial unit, level crossing signal cabin and part of Bus Éireann Depot Boundary wall;
- Construction of a train station over a portion of the existing Waterford City to Rosslare railway, comprising:
- A station building with floor space of 800m2 (internal) and 400m2 (covered external) that will comprise a concourse/waiting area, welfare facilities, a retail space 30.71m2, all associated facilities and a 22m long covered footbridge/concourse over the railway line located at the eastern end of the platforms (that will facilitate connection/integration with future development associated with the North Quays Strategic Development Zone (NQ SDZ);
- A footbridge spanning 16.6m over the railway at the western end of the Transport Hub to facilitate connection/integration with future development associated with the NQ SDZ;
- An external canopy structure approximately 105m long facing Dock Road with 15 no. flagpoles, facing a new set down and entrance ‘north plaza’ area.
- Two platforms measuring approximately 200m in length accessed through the east footbridge via the station building;
- Emergency access from the southern platform, westwards along the rail line, to lead into the North Quays Strategic Development Zone.
- Road and Drainage improvements and associated public realm works along 710m of the Dock Road Fountain Street (R711).
- Construction of approximately 840m of flood defence systems along the southern boundary of the existing Iarnród Éireann railway corridor;
- Construction of pick up and drop off public parking facilities to the east of the station building, comprising approximately; 16 no. car set down spaces, 7 no. taxi set down spaces, 4 no. coach set down spaces and bicycle parking
- Re-configuration of parking in the existing Bus Éireann Depot and construction of replacement spaces to the east of the existing bus depot site connected to the existing Bus Depot by way of an internal road
- Works comprising the integration of the Waterford to New Ross Greenway across the site;
- Upgrades of drainage & foul sewer infrastructure along Dock Road and in the vicinity of the Transport Hub to facilitate future development;
- Public realm improvements including lighting and landscaping;
- Provision of boundary treatment and accommodation works and all ancillary works.
In accordance with Article 120(1)(b)(i) and Section 250 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (as amended), Waterford City and County Council has carried out an Environmental Impact Assessment Screening and Appropriate Assessment screening and has determined that an Appropriate Assessment and Environmental Impact Assessment is not required in respect of this proposed development.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development were available for inspection or purchase at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy, at the following locations, between the hours of 9.30 am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday for the period 26th July to 23rd August 2019 inclusive (excluding Bank and Public Holidays):
- Waterford City & County Council, Customer Care Desk, Baileys New Street, Waterford X91 SH42
- Waterford City & County Council, Civic Offices, Davitts Quay, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford X35 Y326
Online submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development would be situated must have been made in writing to the local authority, online at http://bit.ly/NorthQuays-Part8s no later than 6th September 2019
Written submissions may be addressed to the Director of Economic Development & Planning, Waterford City & County Council, 35 The Mall, Waterford should have arrived no later than 6th September 2019.
Maps & Drawings
- AA Screening Report
- EIA Screening Report
- Part VIII Report Appendix A Part 1 Proposed Development Drawings
- Part VIII Report Appendix A Part 2 Proposed Development Drawings
- Part VIII Report Appendix A Part 3 Proposed Development Drawings
- Part VIII Report Appendix B Architectural Design Statement
- Part VIII Report Appendix C Site-Specific Flood Risk Assessment
- Part VIII Report Appendix D-J Combined
- Part VIII Report Appendix K-M Combined
- Part VIII Report Main Document